28 August 2008

Jane Addiction

I'll admit it, but I don't consider it a problem. I consider it an enlightenment. A bonus gift in my life, if you will. There is a patron saint of writers. Google it, if you want more information (spoiler alert - it's a man). But I consider Jane as my patron saint. Only a woman understands women and knows how to write for and about women. Which leads me to our topic:

Jane Austen, prolific writer of love and 19th century romance, remained single her entire life.
I believe I would not be entirely wrong in assuming we all have a crush on Tom Lefroy as Jane did. But what about Harris Bigg-Wither (portrayed as Mr. Wisley in 'Becoming Jane')? He was the brother of Jane and Cassandra's dear friends. She accepted him, then refused him the next day. Not unlike Fanny Price and Henry Crawford (the scoundrel) which Jane wrote about 10-12 years after the Harris embarrassment. My question is: What personal experience with love did Jane base all her knowledge on?

Mind you, I am in no way criticizing Miss Austen, nor saying that she is incapable of accurately and thoroughly entrancing and delighting us with her intricately woven tales. But where did it come from?

1 comment:

Shannon said...

Beyond the information we get in "Miss Austen Regrets", I think that a lot of what Jane writes about as far as truly desiring a real love with someone was her own personal wish. Perhaps she found that with Mr. Lefroy, but battling the desire for true love was the pressures of her society. She had a lot of pressure to marry a man with good breeding and money. I think in Mr. Lefroy's situation, he lacked the money but had her love. I think with Harris Biggs, he had the money and breeding but not her love. Perhaps I am wrong too.....I am not as read, only movie informed